He Recommended me "Rumi's Daughter"


Although I get a very little time to read books; not that regular, but whenever I read a book I get attached to it emotionally and even physically. Physically?; you'll see me with the book 24/7 in quest to finish it, whatever come may, we can't be separated. Proof: I completed Peer-e-Kamil (pbuh) by Umera Ahmed in the span of three days and two nights, it may have seemed like a reading marathon, no? That's that. Although there are many books in my collection waiting to be read since year 2008-9, and few which I bought one or two years back from National Kitab Mela held in Islamabad, I'm planning to read them before I get new ones *laugh-out-loud-on-my-thinking*
One more thing, if the book is really good, it will get hold of my nerves and I'll start living it, literally. My last read "Bastard of Istanbul" was such a book, it took me more than a month to get out of it's trance. So my reading habit can't be termed as normal: it's intense in every way (I'm almost like this in everything I do, "janooni").
Last month I happened to visit a small book mela organised in my kid's school, in Quetta. My main focus for search was to get new books for children, so our little library can be refreshed. I spotted books for elders as well, couldn't resist inquiring about few of the books I was looking for. The sales boy was astonished at my demands of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Mastansar Hussain Tarrar and my latest favourite Elif Shafak... an elderly man who overheard my literary demands, came forward and suggested me to read "Bastard of Istanbul" by Elif Shafak, I told him that I've already read that, I'm looking for "Love in the days of Cholera" by GGM or "RAAKH" by MHT. He had a sparkle in his eyes, I'm sure, as he must have witnessed a keen book reader after a long time... in Quetta. He smiled and said "lady you have a very fine taste in books, I have all those books back at my shop" so he was the owner of the book store who arranged that book mela. "For now, if you say you liked Elif Shafak's book, I'll recommend you to give a read to "Rumi's Daughter" by Muriel Maufroy, I'm sure you'll like it". I bought it at once, as you never ignore recommendation of a books store's owner. I purchased many other books for my kids, he was kind enough to give us maximum discount. While handing over his shop card to us, he shared an old incident when Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto visited his store back in 60's-70's* he exclaimed "I've never seen such a good collection of books in a shop of 20x20** feet square"
Well it was his pride, I'll surely visit the shop in Quetta, and will update you all. Do wait for my review on "Rumi's Daughter"as I read that book too.

Keep reading #Hudanama
I tweet @Asparklingspark
email: hudanamas@gmail.com
RABB RAKHA!


* I'm personally not sure of the year
**the forgetful nut I am, I forgot the measurement he told about his small book store, I'll update here as soon as I re-confirm

Comments

  1. Sounds like an interesting person. Please visit his shop and get the full story

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Welcome to #HudaNama!
Leave your precious feedback, much appreciated.
If you have a nasty comment please keep it to yourself as I am meditating! :p